Abigail Stuart founded the Woman's Club of Olympia to improve the lives of women and to serve the community in 1883, six years before Washington became a State (history). We are a Non-Profit, Nondenominational, Nonpartisan Volunteer Service Organization. The Woman's Clubhouse was built in 1908 and later named for Abigail Stuart. (clubhouse history) Woman's Clubs are dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.
We have worked with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (Washington DC) since 1890 on:
Conservation movement for first forest preserve
National model for juvenile courts
Pure Food and Drug Act
Eight Hour Work Week/Child Labor Laws
Equal Rights for Women
Equal Pay for Equal Work
Alcohol/Drug Abuse Education for Women and Youth
Youth Suicide Prevention
Our Community Projects
Preservation of WCO Archives
Contributions to Local Charities
Scholarships for High School Students
Baby Layette Program
Preservation of the Abigail Stuart House
A Collect for Club Women
written by Mary Stewart in 1904
Keep us, O God from pettiness;
Let us be large in thought, in word, in deed
Let us be done with fault-finding,
And leave off self-seeking.
May we put away all pretense and meet
Each other face to face without self-pity
And without prejudice.
May we never be hasty in judgment and
Let us take time for all things;
Make us grow calm, serene, gentle.
Teach us to put into action our better impulses, Straight forward and unafraid.
Grant that we may realize it is the
Little things that create differences;
That in the big things of life
We are at one.
And may we strive to touch and to know
That great common human heart of us all,
And O Lord God, let us forget not to be kind.